Monday 26 May 2014

Stardust (13/04/2014)





This is the second Neil Gaimen book I read, my first taste was American Gods which I really enjoyed. I had been thinking of reading Stardust for quite some time. Having watched the film version many times (love it by the way) I was intrigued to see how the book measured up. Normally I read a book and then see the film, but in this instance I was unaware there was a book. I won’t really compare the two together as actually they are pretty different and, I do love the film. That said I really enjoyed reading Stardust, I have to say I was really surprised by the content. Having assumed it was more of a children’s story I must say I was taken aback by the more adult themes included. But I am a reader who does not shy away from more graphic details, in fact I prefer their inclusion. It makes stories feel less teen-angst like. In real life that’s what sexual tension brings. I didn’t feel it was overdone or smutty, it was just there right where it was meant to be.

Basically this was a children’s tale for adults. I enjoy Gaimen’s writing style and found myself completely immersed in this world he created. It was a fairly short book and I wish it had been longer, just because I wasn’t ever bored or feeling like the story wasn’t going anywhere. I think I could have happily journey along with Tristran and Yvaine for another 200-300 pages. Although with it being a nice small book I can see myself returning to it again in the future for a happy quick read. Just as my one little bug bear I would have like more character development with Tristran, from his puppy love beginnings to him becoming real man. This may just be because I’ve seen the film first and I feel they brought that out of his character more so. Anyway, I think I will now have to read all of Gaimen’s other books, I feel really behind on the Gaimen Train.  

No comments:

Post a Comment