Monday 26 May 2014

American Gods (02/03/2014)





So this was the first Neil Gaimen book and have to say I was quite impressed. I will have to check out more of his work. Really enjoyed the way the story was written I thought it had a nice flow and the overall feel reminded me of Horns by Joe Hill. Which was good, as I loved Horns!

So the story was focused on one guy, Shadow, who gets out of prison early due to the fact his wife has died in a car accident. Leading to Shadow encountering a guy we initially are introduced to as Mr Wednesday. He hired Shadow as a general errand boy and basically all havoc ensues. Along the way we learn that gods walk among us and as faith a worship are lessening in modern America these gods are becoming weaker and are worrying about the occurrences of the new more modern gods that have formed from people reliance on technology.

In-between the main story telling there is a lot of side stories about other gods and how they came to America in the heart and minds of travelers and immigrants. Some people may not like this deviation from the main plot but I enjoyed the depth it gave the world I was reading about. I would definitely read more from this author again.

No comments:

Post a Comment