Monday 26 May 2014

Dreams of Gods and Monsters (22/04/2014)





So I finished the third and final book in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series and I have to say, bravo! It really was such a good read, longer, which is more to my taste and such a lovely way to finish of such a good trilogy. Luckily for me I only read books 1 & 2 this year so unlike other readers the story was all still incredibly fresh in my mind. It picks up before the end of book 2 and explains some of the finer details to bring the story up to scratch. I won’t go into further details encase people haven’t read book 2 yet.

This is such a well-structured trilogy and you can see the authors develop as well as the characters, without it seeming to ‘after thought’ish, in this final edition to the series. I will say I was not overly keen on the edition of an unknown character as a narrator at this stage (which is surprising considering I read Game of Thrones). One of the only real dislikes I had was Eliza’s first few chapters I just couldn’t see how or why she fits into the grand scheme of things. Which she does in the end in such a brilliant way, I think a second reading at some point will allow a better appreciation of her chapters now. 

Whilst I thoroughly loved and enjoyed this book I do have to say that towards the end it felt almost like and ‘opps we haven’t really said what’s going on with these characters or this area’. I think the book would have been perfect finished at around 94% the last 6% did feel a bit padded.

I would like to finish by adding that Zuzana is such a bright star of a character in a story that could get pulled down with seriousness. She is right there with such quick funny lines that at times I did laugh out loud. I could hear her sarcastic little voice and I loved getting to her chapters. I also wonder if at some point Laini Taylor may revisit this world as I can almost feel the rest of the story unfolding in my own head.

No comments:

Post a Comment