Monday 26 May 2014

Lord of the Flies (29/03/2014)





So I was meant to read this for GCSE English way back when, and whilst I think we read it in class I never actually read it independently. I remembered what I needed too to pass the exam and vaguely remember what happened. I decided that it was time to try again, thinking that maybe I missed the point; being too young, it being for school, or even that I just should try again. Upon starting the book again I found it really difficult, the langue is horrid, I can’t even imagine people talking the way Golding wrote in this book. I know it was written a long time ago blah blah, whatever, I read Jane Eyre and didn’t find that tedious or awkward. So there really is no excuse.

The conversations seem disjointed, and it almost feels like Golding was thinking while he was writing but never went back over it. I do not finding it surprising that I turned off during lessons on this book. Even now in my mid-twenties I am finding it hard not to have to re-read pages and I feel like I’m going through the motions. It didn’t even feel like an actual story until 75% of the way through. I think he overdid the symbolism and then suddenly remembered it was also meant to be a story and things needed to happen.

The last 25% of the book was better, still not great, and I have to say I’m glad it’s over. I won’t be reading it again, but at least I can honestly give my opinion of the book now that I understand how poor a book this really is. I believe this is the prime example of a book people say is ‘good’ or a ‘classic’ because they think they should, not because they actually enjoyed it. I feel sorry for any school group that has to read this like I did. There are many other books that can be used, that are written in a much better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment