Monday 26 May 2014

Mockingjay (21/02/2014)





Ok, I’ve had a bit of a reading surge this week, and I now after reading this final hunger games book feel like the wind has been knocked out of me.

This book, thankfully, is much better than Catching Fire. It has a completely different feel from the first two, which in comparison could be compared to any number of young adult books floating around. I would have been very annoyed if this book had carried on in a similar way to book 2. This one however, throws away all the securities that everything will turn out alright in the end. I won’t go into too much detail as I don’t know how without talking about specific parts of the story.

But what I will say is that I am glad the author had the balls to do the ending she did. As many YA authors do, they wrap everything up into a nice little present to take away and look happily at later. I don’t think I can look back at this story in a happy way, this isn’t a bad thing though. I think it would have been useless to create a completed resolved and totally happy ending to a story that essentially revolved around the torture and murder of children. I was left not with a feeling of joy or satisfaction but neither was I left feeling like the ending was out of place or left things untold that needed to be told. This last book was the most impressive and gave me much more to think about than YA novels normally do.

No comments:

Post a Comment