Monday 26 May 2014

Enchantress (05/05/2014)






Enchantress is an epic fantasy by anyone’s standards, focusing primarily on the lives of brother and sister, Miro and Ella. The books starts with Miro in training to become a warrior and Ella, running a simple flower stall in the hopes of earning enough money to study enchanting at the academy. Without going into too much detail the sibling strive through many difficult situations and Miro goes into training to become a magical fighter known as a Bladesinger and Ella enters into training to become an enchantress.

Now, I liked the book, didn’t love it. It was free from the kindle store but I still would have expected better proof reading to have taking place. I can see the scope of the story and this the author tried really hard to bring everything together but sometimes the writing just didn’t feel as well structured as it could. As I was reading I almost felt I was re-reading to correct sentences in my head which made the going difficult and quite laborious. For instance one sentence which I cannot forget said, “Sweat dripped from his forehead to drip down his forehead, running into his eyes.” Just little thing like this made my not enjoy this book as much as I should have. Also I found same of the made up names for people or places hard to read, and just didn’t flow that nicely. As an avid fantasy reader I am not new to made up names/terms/places/phrases etc. but I have never been slowed down quite this much.

However the book picked up in the last 10% and finally become the story it should have been. I probably will read the rest in the series as this first book may have been a learning curve. Also I would like to see more development of Ella and Killian (possible red-haired love interest) as this started in this first book and then they ended up in different places. You do get a lot of story in this book, it almost feels like a trilogy in one volume. I have read much worse books but I have also read many better books unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment