Wednesday 8 April 2020

Wicked As You Wish by Rin Chupeco (05/04/2020)

Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1) by Rin Chupeco So I received this book as an ARC in my December Fairyloot book subscription box.

As the release date wasn't until March 2020, I hadn't really seen or heard anything about this book to know if I wanted to read it or not. After reading the summary, I was pleasently optimistic. It was put across as a kind of Snow Queen re-telling.

This made me very interested!

Tom Keen GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

 I'm not sure anyone I have ever met has seen the cartoon I had on video as a child, but it was 'The Snow Queen' and I loved it so much. It was really dark and absure, likely made from one of those cheap animation studios, but none the less I loved the story of Gerda venturing off on a perilous journey to save her childhood friend Kay.

the snow queen 1957 | TumblrAfter a bit of digging on google it turns out the version I loved was the 1957 version of the story.... animated in Soviet Russia....

I'm not overly surprised. As I was primarily raised by my grandparents so tended to end up watching random old films.


 Anyway, this film gave me a good understadning of the orginal story, so long story short, I had high hope for this book.

I like the orginal story, I have liked many other re-tellings, and this book seems to have lots of other fairytales woven into it.

So far so good.

And don't get me wrong, I ended up in the long run enjoying this story. BUT....

TV continuity errors – When TV shows totally contradicted their ...The beginning was so confusing and I didn't really see the point in the main character having Philippine heritage. I know, I know... it's likely to be an unpopular opinion but I found it made the world building really confusing. The world was like the 'real' world. Some countries the same and not much changed about them other than the addition of a magic system... But then there was random 'mythical' countries all over the place. The book didn't have map which made it really hard to place things, I ended up spending a lot on time confused about where the hell everything was in connection to countries I knew.

The other confusing bit was there were so many characters introduced so early, that didn't really have actual parts. But they kept talking. I had to re-read so many pages because I just had no idea who was saying what, or who they were talking to. It was very slow starting book which I actually started reading way back in February. I could not get past the first hundred pages easily. A couple of times I was close to DNFing it.

However, I pushed through it and really knuckled down to get it done this month and I am glad I did. I'm not saying it was the best fantasy re-telling, by a long shot. It is such a shame the last 50% of the book was actually paced well and had interesting character development. I particularity likes the 'Banders', the group selected by the Cheshire Cat (yes from Alice in Wonderland) to assist getting the Lost Prince of Avalon, our heroines best friend, Alex, back to his sealed off Kingdom of Avalon. I liked those characters much more initially than I did Tala and Alex the 'main characters'.

There was a tiny element of romance, but it seemed thrown in and not a main plot point in this book. This is the start of a series. Will I continue?


Top 30 Maybe GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

I would have liked to give the ending of this book a better rating but the slow start really pulled it down. It was nearly a 2* book, had the ending and character development not picked up.

Vicky Thinks: Star Ratings - Useful, Or Just Stressful?

No comments:

Post a Comment