Wednesday 8 April 2020

Batman: Year One by Frank Miller (03/04/20)

Batman Year One Deluxe SC: Amazon.co.uk: Frank Miller: BooksSo following the success that was reading the Locke & Key graphic novels, I thought I would try some more graphic novels available on Kindle Unlimited. So I picked up Batman Year One by Frank Miller. I was recommended this years ago by an old friend. This friend  read a lot more graphic novels that I do, so I thought I would finally take him up on the recommendation.

I'm not quite sure what I expected from this but it wasn't quite what I ended up getting. I didn't realise going into this that is had in fact been written in the 80's. Had I known that I think my expetations would have been different.

This graphic novel basically follows the standard origin/start up of Batman. However it is without the development of his skills or emotional story centered on the loss of his parents. The whole thing to me felt very, without emotion. There also wasn't even really that much from Batman's point of view. It seemed to be more following Jim Gordon, who I generally like as a character. But not so much in this rendition.

Rupaul Meh GIF - RupaulMeh Meh - Discover & Share GIFs
Overall I felt a little let down and just kind of, like, meh...

It wasn't bad, the art work was solid. It just wasn't really what I wanted. Maybe I need to try a more current version and then make a judgement on superhero graphic novels.

That being said I couldn't honestly give this less than 3 stars.
Vicky Thinks: Star Ratings - Useful, Or Just Stressful?


No comments:

Post a Comment