Monday 6 April 2020

April TBR List 2020


So I have been thoroughly inspired by watching a range of book tubers! If I had that kind of time I would love to take up vloging rather than blogging. However with my work and having a 3 year old it just isn't practical right now.

However since we are all currently in lock-down and having the extra time at home since my school is closed, I thought this may be a good time to once again try and revitalise my blog.

Soooo, this month I have a number of reading prompts to meet, which has been inspired by Codie's Wheel of TBR. If you haven't already, check her out I love her vlogs and she now works for Fairyloot, who I subscribe to. Also part of my very ambitious TBR list this month will be the inclusion of some elements of the O.W.L.s read-a-thon this month, which is organised by another booktuber I follow, who also works for Fairyloot....

I wish I worked for Fairyloot....

Crying Sarah GIF - Crying Sarah Michelle - Discover & Share GIFs


Anyways, here is a my VERY ambitious list and the prompts needed to meet them. I'm not super strict so over the month I may change some of these books is i get hold of others that meet the prompt. At the end of the month I will do a 'wrap up' and say what I managed to read.


Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1) by Rin Chupeco1. Read a book you received from Fairyloot.

Wicked As You Wish - Rin Chupeco
 


This is a prompt I will have every month, as I (well my husband) pay a lot for the subscription I don't want to leave the books just sitting on my shelf to long. This prompt allows me to focus on getting this book in every month.
This month the Fairyloot book I am hoping to read is;

This book was sent in the December Fairyloot box as an ARC..... I started reading it in February, but it was very slow to get started, and so I kept picking up other books. I plan to knuckle down and get this book done!









Angel Mage by Garth Nix2. Listen to an audiobook.

Angel Mage - Garth Nix

Another book I've been reading for a long time. I'm completely new to audiobooks. This is in fact the first audiobook I've ever attempted to listen to. And I've been listening to it since November.....

I just don't know if its the book, the audiobook , the narrator or just me that is the problem. I intend to get this finished as well this month and try another audiobook to try and find what I like in this new for me format.











Amazon.com: The Assassin's Blade: The Throne of Glass Novellas ...3. Read a book by your favourite author.

The Assassin's Blade - Sarah J Mass

So this may be a dividing opinion but currently one of my favorite authors is Sarah J Mass. I have yet to read a book she has written that I dislike.

I binge read ACOTAR and ToG last year and am currently waiting to see is Goldsboro books can honor the signed edition of House of Blood and Bone before I give up and buy the eBook. That being said I have had this in my TBR list on my kindle for a while and it will, I imagine be a lovely quick read that will likely make me want to re-read ToG.










Six of Crows: Book 1: Amazon.co.uk: Bardugo, Leigh: 9781780622286 ...4. Read a book that has won or been nominated for the Goodreads Choice Awards.

Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

This book has been on my radar to read for at least a year. It's been on my kindle since my birthday last July so I final made a push and have decided to focus on it now. I was actually on my TBR last month but I ended up with a couple of changes due to 'Mood reads' so I moved it to this month.

I have already read Leigh Bardugo's first trilogy, the Grisha Trilogy and I enjoyed them but, didn't madly love them. I have seen a lot of reviews and vlogs saying this is the better story from the Grishaverse so I have my fingers crossed.







Angelfall: Penryn and the End of Days Book One: 1: Amazon.co.uk ...5.  Read a self-published book.

Angelfall - Susan Ee

This is the first book that I can honestly say may get changed by a mood book during the month. Especially if I can make it hit both the prompt for April and an O.W.L. But for the sake of the blog post the main contender for this prompt it....

Now again this is another book I have had on my Kindle TBR for years! When I started using eBooks, I went a little crazy and have a ridiculous amount of ebook that still need to read in addition to my physical TBR shelf.










Black Maria: Amazon.co.uk: Wynne: BooksBlack Maria by Diana Wynne Jones6. Read a second-hand book.

Black Maria - Diana Wynne Jones

Now, I have a big confession to make. I don't really do second hand books. I don't like books that get dog eared or have broken spines. I take a lot of care to keep my physical books in very good conditions.

That being said I have a very old copy of a favorite book that is nearly as old as I am. I 'acquired' it from primary school when I was in year 5 I believe and I just never returned it.... it isn't in the best condition now as it was printed in 1991 and was a school's copy of book. I have read it so many times but I cant bare to part with it as I really dislike the new covers for this book.

I will put both covers so you can see what I mean. The new cover is just a bit garish for me.


Disney Princess Snow White: Mirror, Mirror (Twisted Tales 384 ...7.  Read a book with food on the cover.

Mirror, Mirror - Jen Calonita

This was surprising hard to find! I tend to ready Fantasy or romance books, which apparently don't tend to have food on the covers.... or at least the ones I read don't.

However I managed to find one on my physical TBR shelf so it has finally managed to make to the reading pile!












Mort: (Discworld Novel 4) (Discworld Novels): Amazon.co.uk ...8. Read a book by an author who is now deceased. 

Mort - Terry Pratchett

This one perfectly allows me to continue working my way through Terry Pratchett's back catalogue of Discworld novels. I have enjoyed the 3 I have read so far. So it seems reasonable to assume I will like this one as well.
















The Haven: Book 1: Amazon.co.uk: Simon Lelic: Books9. Read a new to me author.

The Haven - Simon Lelic

This book and author are completely new to me and came from Goldsboro Books as my free book for signing up to their 'Book of the Month' subscription... I know I am just throwing my money at books. I have a problem but I love it!

I don't really know anything about this book or the author. It seems to be some kind of early teen action adventure book. That used to be my favorite kind of book so fingers crossed its a good one. My edition is a Goldsboro exclusive and has bright orange sprayed edges and is numbers and signed by the author. It also has an embossed stamp on the signed page which is very cool. Overall it seems a very nice edition to have received for free.







Illuminae - Wikipedia10. Read a Young Adult Fantasy or Science Fiction.

Illuminae - Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

Another books I have heard a lot about and managed to get fairly recently on my kindle when the price dropped to 99p! I don't really know much about the story but feel it hits the prompt and gives me and excuse to read it sooner rather than later.















Red Queen: Amazon.co.uk: Victoria Aveyard: Books11. Read a book with the same title as a film or TV show but is unrelated to it.

Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard

This was another surprisingly tricky one to find. I didn't want to have to specifically by a book for this prompt. The whole idea of doing these prompts is to get me to read as many of the books I already have as possibly. Again a book I picked up for 99p on my kindle and has been sitting there unread for quite a while.













The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams12. Read a book about a book club.

The Bromance Book Club - Lyssa Kay Adams

Now this is the only book I so far don't own a book that meets the prompt. If i cant find one from another book I already own I will have to buy one. And if that is the case this is the book I will likely buy....

This is not my normal style of book that I read. When I read romances they tend to be 'trashy' quick steamy reads. I don't feel that this will be that but the premise sounds fun and interesting











Locke and Key HC (2008-2014 IDW) comic books13. Read a book with a pun in the title.

Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft - Joe Hill

There were a few option for this one, from books I already owned. Most of them were from part of a series, but it would have meant reading previous books first and I couldn't quite fit them into the other reading prompts.

Then I remembered a friend had told me that some good graphic novels had been put on Kindle Unlimited. this particular series I had always intended to read as I love Joe Hill as an author, I have liked all the books of his I have read and the premise for this graphic series seemed right up my street.










So this wraps up my Wheel of TBR April list.... I normally read between 8 and 11 books a month at the moment and I had factored in that I will have more opportunity to read so added in an extra couple of books to really challenge myself.

Now begins what I intend to read for the O.W.L Read-a-thon, I intend for this books to be for the most part in addition to the April list (I Know I'm Crazy!!!). If however I am unable to read the entire TBR lists I may double up some books on prompts they meet both for. But I have so many books to read that I would really prefer to get through them!


O.W.L's April 2020: Career Path - Care of Magical Children.



Look Who's Back: Amazon.co.uk: Timur Vermes, Jamie Bulloch ...14. Arithmancy - Magical qualities of number 2: Read something out of your comfort zone.

 Look Who's Back - Timur Vermes

So this is book from my physical TBR shelf. I have had it for at least 6 years and started it, liked it, but never finished it. It's, I guess, kind of controversial. Just because of the nature of the subject content. Now seems like as good a time as any to finish this book!















Garden of Thorns (Garden of Thorns, #1) by Amber Mitchell15. Charms - Lumos Maxima: White cover. 

Garden of Thorns - Amber Mitchell

This could be meet by a couple of book I own but as I am trying to get through as many books as possible, I decided that I would choose another book on my eBook TBR list.

I can't at this point remember much about this I just know I would have read the summary thought it sounded interesting and, boom, bought it.













Review: Crown of Coral and Pearl by Mara Rutherford | the windy pages16. Defence Against The Dark Arts - Grindylow: Book set at the sea/coast.

Crown of Coral and Pearl - Mara Rutherford


This is one of the prompts I feel I could meet with another book. But again I will try to read a different book for each rpompt and only double up if I need to.

This book caught my eye as there seems to have been an increase int he amount of sea/mermaid themed books in the YA fantasy genre. It is something I would like to read more of.










The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1) by Marie Rutkoski17. Mimnulus Mimbletonia: Title starts with an 'M'.

The Midnight Lie - Marie Rutkoshi

I am choosing not to count 'the' as part of title. Again this is a prompt I could use another book for and double up. But if I manage not to need to do that this will be the book used for this prompt...

The Midnight Lie by Marie Rutkoski - LIMITED EDITION - FairyLootThis edition I bought as an extra from Fairyloot and my edition is absolutely stunning. It is a gorgeous turquoise colour with rose gold foiling all over. The edges are stencil sprayed and it is a signed edition. I didn't really know to much about this book, and I am not going to lie I primarily pre-ordered this book because it just looked so good.
 

The Fault in Our Stars - Wikipedia18.  Muggle studies: Book from a perspective of a muggle (contemporary).

The Fault In Our Stars - John Green

This is another I could possibly double up depending on what I end up reading for the main April prompts. But in the same way I have listed individual books for each prompt I will continue to do the same.

This is another book I have intended to read for such a long time and is from back when I first got my kindle and went crazy for eBooks.












Batman Year One Deluxe SC: Amazon.co.uk: Frank Miller: Books19. Shrinking Solution: Book under 150 pages.

Batman: Year One - Frank Miller


This book was chosen for a couple of reasons.

1. I want to read more graphic novels.
2. It was included in my Kindle Unlimited subscription.
3. I like superheros, Batman has always been one that I particularly like.
4. It met the page number.
5. I knew it would be a fast read!












Alpha Knight (Wolf Ridge High, #2) by Renee Rose20. Transfiguration - Animagus lectures: Book/series that includes shape-shifting. 

Alpha Knight - Renee Rose

This book was chosen as a quick read that I knew I could get as part of my kindle unlimited subscription. Something quick and trashy (and hopefully hot and steamy!).


















 So, that's it. That is the list. It's soooo big. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment