Sunday 26 April 2020

Review: Married to the Rake (20/04/20)

Married to the Rake Married to the Rake by Samantha Holt
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So on a whim I downloaded this as an eBook to my kindle as part of my unlimited subscription.
As the name and picture imply this is a historical romance. Which follows a very typical enemies to lovers’ format. The main character Chole Larkin is a typical bookish type of heroine. She lives with her family in a typical regency estate happily gallivanting away her days with books and meeting her two close friends. Enter the ‘rake’. Mr Brook Waverly. The son of a neighbouring family, of which the Larkins are sworn enemies. The families share a boundary line which for generations the two families are argued over about 20ft of land, constantly moving the line back and forth.
Can you see where this story is heading?
Chloe and Brook team up to try and stop the constant argument about the line once and for all, so that their aging fathers can finally rest. Obviously, a budding romance begin from this otherwise it would be an extremely poor romance.

I liked the characters. Nothing was too cheesy, as these types of books can sometimes get. It was a quick easy, sweet kind of book. I genuinely want to know about the characters and the sub plot. Her friends were also interesting, and it seems the other 2 books in this series focus on their love lives.

I was a bit disappointed it wasn’t as ‘steamy’ as I would have liked. That was the only thing that for me, would have bumped up the rating. It kind of left me feeling a little bit short changed, but I think that is just my personal taste for these types of books. If you like your romance on the cleaner side, this would probably be right up your street.

Overall a nice, sweet, easy read. A solid 3 stars.

Will this book win awards, no sorry it won’t. But, did I enjoy it? Yes. Will I read the other two in the series? Yes, definitely!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment