Saturday 11 April 2020

The Midnight Lie by Marie Rutkoshi (11/04/20)

The Midnight Lie by Marie Rutkoski - LIMITED EDITION - FairyLootSo I am going to level with you all before I begin the review. I went into this book basically knowing nothing. I pre ordered this book on a whim from Fairyloot when they announced the beautiful exclusive hardback edition they would be offering. I saw it. Thought the book looked stunning. Bought it....

Anyway my initial thoughts on the book and the writing in particularly were the writing was that it was a bit flowery for my liking. However, but the book as a whole was surprisingly easy to read. I wasn't a fan of Erin Morgenstern's writing in 'The Night Circus', and I was worried this would be like that. Thankfully it wasn't.

𝐟𝐨𝐨𝐥 ! | gif series - bloom // flowers - WattpadThe writing was actually beautiful, it felt similar to how Laini Taylor would write (not concern over coping of stories by the way). And I loved all the books I have so far read by Laini Taylor. Soooo at this point I was happy to start sinking into the world and story. There is a nice simple introduction to the caste system within this world and the 3 girls who are living and working almost like sisters at a Tavern within the 'Ward'. Our main character is a young woman called Nirrim who is part of the 'Half Kith' caste. Along with Morah and Annin they have all been adopted/taken in by a woman we know only as Raven who is technically part of the 'Middling' caste. All lower castes have to follow laws and rules and work to basically please the upper casts the 'High Kith'

Bird Sleep GIF - Bird Sleep - Discover & Share GIFsWhen the story properly begins there is a magical bird that basically can make everything better. Nirrim ends up capturing the bird, and from there everything kicks off and she ends in in prison have to pay a 'tithe' for breaking a law.

The Vampire Diaries Damon GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYIn prison she meets a flirtatious character going bby the name of Sid... I felt a romance coming. I felt like there was going to be more to this character than meets the eye. And I have no idea why but most romantic leads in books basically give sultry 'come to bed eyes' like Damon from the vampire diaries series, just with hair colour/eye colour replaced in my head. But the basic bone structure rarely changes. And this book is no exception...

Nirrim can see things others can't, she has learnt to hide this from others so as not to appear different and stand out. Sid has explained there is magic in the 'High Kith', Nirrim knows nothing of this because the 'Half Kith' have no access to history of their world. They remain behind the wall in the 'Ward' their whole life. I knew I loved this book when a scene resembled that of something out of a classic favourite of mine, Jane Eyre....

Shocked GIF - Find on GIFERSid's character development..... without going into spoiler territory I loved it. I was not expecting it, having gone into this book blind. I will instead leave this picture to sum up my feelings at the end of chapter 16....

If you know, then you know....

This books is amazingly written. I have taken my time reading it, like I haven't in a very long time. Normally I try and just get through a book as fast as possible. But I didn't want to with this one. I could see the pages slipping away and I wanted it to slow down. I found myself in a constant battle of wanted to find of the secrets of the 'Ward' and the 'High Kith' (which I had guess by this point) but always wanting to savor my time in this world with Nirrim and Sid. 
Powerful Women GIFs | Tenor
The end of chapter 39, for me seemed very important. I could feel the shift in Nirrim, the spark that will drive into the next book I think at this stage. And I think Sid felt it too.

It seems my guessing about the plot were 100% correct. I don't do spoilers so I won't disclose the guesses at all. But I was right and even though I was right and it seemed to me to be obvious I was not disappointed. I never tend to be disappointed if I guess a plot point early on. I enjoy seeing the journey the characters take to that realisation.

I loved this book, it is 100% on my favorites of the year. I will be anxiously awaiting the next book because that ending was crazy.
How do rate your Oneplus 3 as your daily driver! - OnePlus Community

No comments:

Post a Comment