Tuesday 7 April 2020

Locke & Key Vol 1: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe HIll (02/04/20)


Locke And Key: Welcome to Lovecraft: Amazon.co.uk: Joe Hill ...I thoroughly enjoyed this first volume in the Locke & Key series. I have been a big fan of Joe Hill's work for a long time. I first read a Joe Hill book back when I was about 13 and it was Heart Shaped Box. I loved how dark and at point actually scary his writing was. I am as of yet, to read something by Hill that I don't like.

I was curious to see how his writing style transferred to graphic novel. I wasn't worried, his dark writing would suit graphic novels perfectly with the right art work. Gabriel Rodriguez pulls it off brilliantly. I love the clean lines and bold colours. I was genuinely enraptured with the whole thing. It was an excellent introduction the the main characters and I honestly can't wait to continue.

The only downside I had was i read my copy on my phone as part of my Kindle Unlimited subscription. I would love to have these volumes in real life so i could spend longer enjoying the art work.

This book basically introduces us to the 3 Locke children and how they are dealing with the aftermath of their father being shot and murdered, and then the murderer coming after them. Each child deals with the grief in very different ways. Ty the oldest and arguably with the most trauma is seen not coping well and blaming himself for his fathers murder. His sister Kinsey used to and out there rocker but after her father dies, just wants to fit in, so in fact de-individualises herself which is a really interesting look into how teenagers try to get attention. And finally, Bode the youngest seeks escape from reality and finds it in their new home the 'Keyhouse'.

Road To El Dorado GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYIt is very gory, and gruesome so not one for younger teens to read and I have yet to start watching the Netflix show but I can already see this series as a whole becoming a firm favorite!







This book hit everything I really like in book/graphic novel so gets a solid 4****.
Stars Voting 4 Stars transparent PNG - StickPNG

I would have given it 5 stars but I want some room to see how the rest of the series goes and to be able to have so distinction in my appreciation.





No comments:

Post a Comment