Sunday 2 November 2014

The Walking Dead Vol. 4 The Heart's Desire (01/10/14)



So what can I say about Vol. 4… I will start with it being a little shocking. Not as in bad, but as in I didn’t see some of the relationship changes coming. I am pretty much a traditionalist at heart once I get an idea of a couple in my head it is very hard to change that. I will try not to go into too much detail, I do so hate spoilers, but I will talk about which characters shocked me. Firstly Rick, how ‘cray cray’ is his character going to go…. They touched on this insane descent in the TV show but it was never anything like this. I’m even at times finding it hard to like his character, that doesn’t mean I don’t get why he is doing what he is doing but it’s just hard to take the image of Andrew Lincolns portrayal of the character out of my head. However I can see these characters getting more removed from each other as I progress.

The other character that is shocking me in the graphic novel is Carol, she seems to have no backbone and is constantly on the edge of no return. I guess the emotions in this series are just so extreme. I’m finding it compelling but also a frightening how the human mind seems to breakdown. It would be impossible not to mention Michonne in the character shocking review. I love her character in the TV show, I liked her instantly and love what she brings to the group. But right now in the graphic novel I really don’t like her. There is something off about her and what she does, it would be a shame not to like her in the actual graphic novel series but I will have to see how things develop.

Talking about how the characters differ, I think I actually prefer Hershel in the graphic novels. He loses his optimism sooner and goes pretty scary after losing two of his daughters in the previous volume. This seems more realistic and credible. I also love this evil eye look he seems to always have going when someone does or says something to annoy him. It is so easier to read though these volumes and I can’t imagine it will take me long to get through them now I’ve got started.

No comments:

Post a Comment